Just a day after taking over the top spot with the West Hartford Fire Department, newly appointed Chief Gregory Priest was digging through charred debris at a house fire Sunday that chased a family out of their Clarendon Avenue home.
“It’s been an interesting first 24 hours,” Priest said.
The blaze, which started in a second-floor bedroom at 9 Clarendon Ave., at the corner of South Quaker Lane, was reported at about 4:30 p.m. Firefighters arrived in four minutes, by which time the occupants had evacuated, Priest said. The fire was quickly knocked down and there were no injuries, he said.
Priest said investigators believe the fire was accidental and have traced the origin to a piece of electrical equipment. The flames were contained to the bedroom, but there was smoke and heat damage in other rooms and the house was not habitable Sunday night, Priest said.